Saturday, January 31, 2009

Clay Station Viognier 2006

Here's a review from Iron Chef that fits with our recent discussion regarding the tasting machine:

---

I tried this wine at the Tasting Machine at Prospect and thought it had aromas, so I got one for the weekend. Paired it up with Scallops and Shrimp with a Cilantro sauce. The wine was hugely fragrant- wild flowers and with hot alcohol. Nice scent of carmel and baked spices were the high points of the wine. But the wine was not balanced- low levels of acidity- the term is Flabby or Fat. It just was not what I was looking for in a white wine, it felt like I had drank a Scented Candle- soapy mouth finish.

Price: $21.99
Score: 77
Value: 1/5- too too expensive
Region: California
Grape: Viognier
UPC #082242229432

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I tried this one out of the tasting machine and also found it incredibly fragrant - which I thought might be overwhelming in larger quantity. Did you find that? Or maybe one gets accustomed to the fragrance, or the cilantro pairing balanced it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you are right it was over the top- too much so

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it to be very well balanced, it is one of our favourite summer table wines. Prefered the 2006 to the 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon,

    Thanks - I hate to judge a wine solely from the tasting machine sample.

    ReplyDelete