Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Aresti Reserve Chardonnay

Here's a review from Iron Chef:

"Speaking of whites, my wife had her book club over last evening and I opened an Aresti Reserve Chardonnay from the Liquidation table at ANBL for $9.49. I was really in the mood for a crisp oaky and zesty Chardonnay and this hit the mark. The finish was creamy- almost too malo-lactic- but held it all together. Very nice wine for the price all things considered- reminded me of the Marques Casa Concha Chard that ANBL had this summer for a very short engagement that was $23."

(Score and value ratings are Iron Chef's)
Price: $9.49
Value: 7/5
Score: 84.9
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: 677855000044


4 comments:

  1. Chef,

    The Aresti Reserve Chard is good value if you like full bodied chards. On paper, $9.49 for Casblanca Valley Chardonnay is the definition of value.

    I found the wine to be sound, with med intensity fruit with a decent dose of oak influence, although the alcohol was pronounced on the nose. I found the alcohol to be a bit too pronounced on the pallet as well. This may fade with time. I usally like this style of chard so I am probably a bit too lenient on my overall score. I wanted to like this wine but I don't think I do.

    Value: 2.5/5
    Score: 75
    Tasted Oct 2008

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a glass of this last night and thought it good value for money (sub $10). I liked the nose and much of the palate, but thought it a little too tart (alcohol?) for my taste. I didn't taste the creamy finish reported by Chef. This would have improved things for me. Perhaps I'm just missing the Tormaresca?! [NB I'm not drinking much white at the moment, so these comments are not well calibrated]. I'm going to try it again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So . . . what are your thoughts after the second take?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not good. The fruity, zingy notes were considerably reduced (I quite liked those on the first tasting)and I was left with a one dimensional, creamy (yes, i got it this time) wine with a tart note popping up in the middle. It was quite strange. I'm pretty sure it suffered in the bottle in the fridge overnight.

    As I tend to buy things in twos, I will likely drink the other bottle sometime, but will make sure i do it the day its opened.

    ReplyDelete