Friday, October 17, 2008

Cellier de Marrenon Grand Marrenon 2006

The Cotes du Luberon appellation is in the southern Rhone, not too far from Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The Grand Marrenon is made from a blend of Grenache Blanc, Vermentino, Marsanne and Roussane.

I've only started drinking white wine the past couple of years, and even then mostly in the summer with seafood. I'm most familiar with Riesling, Gewurz and Sauvignon Blanc.

Maybe that's why I have a hard time knowing what to make of this wine. When first poured this wine had a very off-putting nose. That dissipated after a few minutes and was replaced by a distinct plasticine smell that reminded me of the Puligny-Montrachet Le Trezin. The plasticine followed through on the palate, which was otherwise a bit flabby. After I got used to the taste I found it interesting, but I can't say that I actually liked it. I had this wine with Ted, Kathy and Kelly; they liked even less than I did.

I'm not sure how to score this. I expect that the taste is a matter of style which some people enjoy, even though I'm not one of them. I'll give it an 85, but the truth is I don't know what to make of this wine. I'd be very interested in comments. Help!

Price: $17.29
Value: 3/5
Score: 85
Alcohol: 13.5%
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: 3256811113645

4 comments:

  1. I tried this wine this past summer and wasn't thrilled about it. At that time I hadn't tried many Rhone whites and didn't like the few that I had tried, perhaps because of the somewhat harsh taste that marsanne/rousanne can produce. (like the plasticine you mentionned?)

    Since then, I have had the chance to try the Guigal Hermitage blanc - what a wine! This wine made me completely re-evaluate my (inexperienced) bias against marsanne and rousanne.

    I guess quality may be a factor (the Hermitage is in the $50 range) but don't give up on the Rhone whites - they have a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Rhone(-ish) Roussane, I had a fantastic one last summer - the Costieres de Nimes Ch. De Nages Cuvee Joseph Torres 2003 - and only $20. Not available here (and I'm not sure if other vintages are as good), but maybe we'll see it here one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the Marrenon, it was our summer white this year. The slightly muted tone and slightly oily/oaky finish was a nice change of pace to many of the whites we usually have. It is also interesting to try this beside the Hermit Crab for a nice comparison of styles. A lot of times with whites and food I want a dialogue in the pairing rather than Food and Wine yelling at each other- I sometimes find that in Fruit-bomb whites. The Marrenon's slightly muted or restrained style is perfect with Lobster rissoto or any seafood. With regards to the plastic aromas, it was not something I found in the wine, and I do tend to hate that water bottle smell in wines.
    Luke mentioned the Guigal which I hate to say is now gone from ANBL, I have had the 2002 and 2003 on a number of occasions and it is hands down one of the BEST whites I have had. The complexity of oak, floral, spice on the nose gave it a weight that few wines can. The palate was out of this world. I have one bottle left that I will hide for a long period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried this again yesterday, and it was better - it had lost that plasticine flavour, and otherwise seemed the same. I liked the texture and balance, but still found it a bit flabby. I can imagine it being nicer with food than alone.

    ReplyDelete