Thursday, October 2, 2008

Montes Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

Since I posted the review below, Kelly and I had a second chance to try this wine at a friend's house. The second bottle was very different and much better. It seems clear that we just got a bad bottle first time around. We can't post a new review - Kelly didn't taste it blind and more generally we weren't in 'wine review' mode. But I'll bump up the rating anyway. While Kelly didn't do a full review, she was convinced that it is much better than a typical cab at this price. (I'm still not much of a cab guy.) But beware of bottle variation.

Here is the original review:

"Here's one that Vesper recommended in the "Make a Suggestion" thread. I can't say that I was as keen on it. I thought it was a bit candied with a slightly bitter, chalky finish. With that said, it's quite reasonable value at $16 - it didn't have what Kelly calls "that nasty cheap wine taste." But a few dollars more you can do quite a bit better, for example with the Wynns Shiraz. And if you look, I think you can do better for less money."

Price: $15.99
Value: 3/5 (1st bottle); 4/5 (2nd bottle)
Score: 83 (1st bottle); 86(?) (2nd bottle)
Tasted: Sept 2008
ANBL UPC: 715126000017

1 comment:

  1. Norman (and Kelly) thanks for giving it a second chance. I think its worth trying if you like cab and get a good bottle!

    ReplyDelete