Thursday, October 9, 2008

d'Arenberg The Stump Jump Red 2006

This is a guest post on the d'Arenberg Stump Jump Red, which is a GSM blend of 48% Grenache, 28% Shiraz and 24% Mourvedre (24%). Kathy, Ted and Dean shared it (non-blind) over dinner.

Dean: "Moss and wet earth, red berry and cloves on the nose. smooth mouthfeel with licorice and berry notes, and firm tannins. Well structured and nicely balanced. Fruit forward now but could develop nicely after 3-4 years in the cellar."

Kathy: "Way too fruity, too sweet, almost candied. Not a fan, couldn't finish the glass."

Ted: "Balanced, with firm but not overbearing tannins. fruit forward, with some spice from the shiraz that compensates for the somewhat candied characteristics, presumably from the grenache. Overall, an interesting wine that is drinking well now and at under $20, very good value for money. Much much better than the entry level Australians from Lindemans, Penfolds or Rosemount. Score: 86 value for money: 4/5"

Note that both Kathy and Ted remarked on the candied characteristics. That's something I have come to recognize in lower price Grenache (in the same way that lower priced Merlot reminds me of Bazooka Joe bubble gum - which I hate). Some people don't mind that characteristic in a wine, while others - like Kathy - hate it. Best to know where you stand when you think about picking up this wine. And if you don't know where you stand on the candy issue, try this wine and find out.

The score and value are Ted's. Wine Spectator also gave this an 86.

Price: $16.79
Value: 4/5
Score: 86
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: 9311832314007

4 comments:

  1. I had this recently and after a number of years searching out Mourvedres and Bandols, but I am starting to dislike the grape. I think it is 15-20% Mourvedre but the smell of sweat or horse hair is very strong. Rhone or Bandol wines with this grape generally provide a spicy aroma, but many new world examples supply this BO smell. Maybe I was not in the mood for the wine, but I could not finish the glass. I love d'Arenberg but not this wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some like it hot or feelin’ hot, hot, hot. Not talking about temperatures outside, but the high alcohol of a wine. Don and I had a bottle of the D’Arenberg Stump Jump Grenache/Shiraz/Mouverdre blend. I have to say I was not that crazy about it. The initial sensation on the nose was berry but it was so overwhelmed by the “burn your eyes” alcohol that it quickly faded. Now given we didn’t let it breathe because we had this at the Keg in Moncton. So I though perhaps that the alcohol would evaporate a bit; so I swirled the bejezus out of it in my glass J On the palette the alcohol again was first and foremost. I did get some overripe berry, perhaps vanilla (think that was the alcohol) and Don got cherry. I have to say its not in my top tastes of the past year. Not to say that I was disappointed, it really stood up to Don’s pepper steak and it mellowed a bit with my sirloin in mushrooms. So all in all, I would give it maybe an 85. Well for value, you can’t rate that with the 150% mark up of a restaurant! But to purchase it again at ANBL, probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere that sensitivity to high alcohol "hotness" is genetically determined. That would fit with my experience, which is that I know a handful of people who consistently remark on it. Michelle, I don't think you'd like d'Arenberg's d'Arry's Original either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats really interesting. I was thinking it was the blend...since I dont have a lot of experience with Grenache or Mouvedre.
    I seem to be along the lines of oaky, earthy types of wines, something with ripe berries.
    More research is needed :)

    ReplyDelete