Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2007

I haven't had a white wine in a few weeks now - not since the last of the hot weather - so it's about time for another. I enjoyed New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc all summer so I thought I'd try a new one. Whether it's the wine or the time of year is hard to say, but I didn't enjoy this Spy Valley nearly as much as the Bay of Fires Tigress that I was drinking for most of the summer. The Spy Valley is unmistakeably a NZ Sauv. Blanc, with a striking nose of citrus and melon (maybe I should add "gooseberries" since that's what everyone says about NZ Sauv. Blanc - but that's not what I taste). But there wasn't a lot of follow through on the palate and the crispness of the style veered over into tartness, giving it a bit of a sour finish. I suspect this wine would do very well with spicy food - Indian or Thai curry - as it has the punch to stand up to the spices and food would tame the acidity. But to my taste it's not really a wine to sip before dinner.

I'd be very interested to hear what others have to say about this wine.

Price: $21.49
Score: 86
Value: 3/5
Alcohol: 13%
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: 9421008350033

5 comments:

  1. Speaking of whites, my wife had her book club over last evening and I opened an Aresti Reserve Chardonnay from the Liquidation table at ANBL for $9.49. I was really in the mood for a crisp oaky and zesty Chardonnay and this hit the mark. The finish was creamy- almost too malo-lactic- but held it all together. Very nice wine for the price all things considered- reminded me of the Marques Casa Concha Chard that ANBL had this summer for a very short engagement that was $23
    Value 7/5
    score 84.9
    UPC #677855000044

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chef

    are you sure the Aresti was from the Liquidation table? There seems to be plenty in the warehouse. What year was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norman,

    It is the same Aresti Chardonnay that is on liquidation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that really a 01 Sav Blanc? If so I am surprised you scored it as high as you did. Nz Sav Blanc is not built for any type of aging and losses pretty much everything of interest after a couple of years. I would be shocked if it was not completely gone at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon

    You're right. It couldn't have been an '01 - I picked it up recently. It was whatever is currently in stock - the '07 I think. I'll change the post title accordingly. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete