Tuesday, October 14, 2008

O Fournier Alfa Crux Malbec 2004

I picked this up from the liquidation table last winter. Note that the Alfa Crux Malbec I'm reviewing here is a completely different wine from the Alfa Crux blend that is currently available at ANBL - the blend is 50% Tempranillo with the rest Malbec and Merlot, while this is varietal Malbec. We tried this for the first time at a tasting with half a dozen other sale wines. This was my favourite and I ran out and got six more bottles. This is the first time I've had it since then.

It's very well balanced wine that somehow manages a lush feel and grippy tannins at the same time. Good flavours in what I think of as the "bass notes" end of the spectrum. Not a lot of complexity. Reminds me of a Madiran in structure - the Montus in particular (Iron Chef might like this one).

This is what Kelly had to say: "Red berries, herbs, leather , and new sneaker on nose follow through on palate, although palate is largely berry. Clear flavor, well balanced, ending with firm tannins. Opened up after an hour or so to be smoother, longer, and fruitier. Vesper got rotting fruit and chalk."

On the whole, this is a very solid Malbec, but after tasting it for the second time, I'm not completely sure why I ran out to buy 6 more bottles the first time I tried it. But hey, Wine Spectator gave it a 93(!) and says it will be best from 2009-15. So maybe I'll wait a few years before I try it again.

Price: Approx $30 (Liquidation price)
Value: 3/5
Score: 89
Alcohol: 14.5%
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: No longer available

6 comments:

  1. I bought two bottles at the last liquidation sale and drank one shortly afterwards. It was good, but I think the WS 93 and "Highly Recommended" classification may have left me with high expectations. Thanks for the post... I think I'll sit on my second bottle for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was later that you two, onlt the Crux Blend was left

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I have two in the basement. I will let everyone know when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to their website, this wine continues to impress. Give it a few years i think. Here are some of the awards:

    Four stars Decanter “Highly Recommended”
    93 points Wine Spectator “Highly Recommended”
    Top Three Argentine Wine Tom Stevenson Wine Guide
    18 points Jancis Robinson
    94 points Wine Enthusiast Editor´s Choice
    Top 16th in Wine Enthusiast Top 100 Wines

    ReplyDelete