Monday, October 13, 2008

Chateau Reynella Shiraz 2001

In order to keep the posts going on Monday and Tuesday without too much liver damage, I think I'll try to use these two days for wines that were bought at ANBL but are no longer available (but who knows, we may see them again).

Here's a review from Iron Chef that I listed from the "Make a Recommendation" thread.

"And finally for desert- Chateau Reynella 2001 Shiraz 15.5% to pair with a flourless chocolate cake with blackberries on top. This Australian wine was huge. I mean BIG- nose of hot chocolate, Mocha coffee with cassis and warm oak. Reminiscent of a high-end Zinfandel except with more cassis and 'Fine wine' aromas. The tannins were still chewy. Overall very Port-like in nature and heavily extracted. But it was almost too dense a wine even for desert. Unfortunately it is no longer available in NB, I miss it. It was about $45, I think.

Price: approx. $45
Score: 92
Value: 5/5
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: No longer available."

Note this is Iron Chef's score and value. I don't know if I'd give 5/5 for value for a 92 at $45. But that's a quibble - the wine sounds great. As it happens, I have a bottle of the 2000 in my cellar. I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Chef,

    Thanks for reminding me about this wine. I have four in the cellar. WS recommends to drink'em up by 2008. Do you think I should hold out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had the 98 a few weeks back, still holding really well. I think you can wait.

    ReplyDelete