Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bon Cap Ruins Pinotage 2006

Here's another Liquidation table review from Iron Chef:

"We had the 2006 The Ruins Pinotage, 14%. The nose was plummy and fleshy with aromas of spicy wood vanillas. The palate is spicy with woody acidity. Dried herbs and a short finish. But not a lot else. It was just very one dimensional. I heard such good things that maybe I was expecting more. Don't get me wrong, for under $15 this is a solid effort but...it lacks a depth of character that I have had with other Pinotages - the tarry earthy notes that made the Cathedral Cellers such a nice wine."

Price: $14.99 (Liquidation)
Value: 3.8/5
Score: 82
Alcohol: 14%
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: #6009677370052

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chef,

    I had a chance to try the Ruins Pinotage blind in a flight of 10 other wines from ANBL shelves. The only criteria for the tasting was the wines had to be $40 or less.

    The participants (10 of us) tried the wines and ranked them by preference. The top three were;

    1. Katnook Estate Cab
    2. Ruins Pinotage
    3. Trapiche Gei Berra Malbec

    and the rest were (in no particular order);

    -Clos L'Oratoire Chat. Neuf du Pape
    -Tommasi Ripasso
    -Castano Monastrell
    -Laughing Magpie
    -Poliziano Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
    -La Crema Carneros PN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued. Like Chef said about the Tormaresca, this is the fun part about individual preferences. For $15 I think I try it and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After making the top 3 in a blind ($40>)tasting I was keen to try this.

    I opened this last night and was a bit disturbed by a more-explosive-than-usual 'pop' and effervescence as I uncorked it. However things did improve for me.

    I'm recovering from a cold, but could still smell dark fruit (inc possibly cherry) and possibly some earthiness. This followed through upon tasting for me. The structure is not bad, but its not hugely complex and as Chef said, a short finish.

    From my experience with blind tastings I can see why this might finish in the top three: a noticeable and vaguely familiar nose and taste, and the absence of anything particularly offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly and I had a chance to try this last night. We were very impressed. An interesting nose of cedar / juniper, very good balance with dark fruit and minerals on the palate. We gave it 88 points and an easy 4/5 value rating at the price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. At the price, I hope we bought a few bottles.

    ReplyDelete